Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

camp ohio.



If you have spent about 2 seconds with me, you would know I am not a wilderness girl. Sure, I love the outdoors. I love the beach and mountains and fields. However, I do not love spiders, pollen or dirt. When I say "I went camping for three days this past week" anyone who knows me laughs. And when I say "I went camping and loved it," disbelief. No way. Not you. More laughs.

But I did, I really loved it. Despite the flat tire, massive spider in the tent, dead car battery, torrential downpours and muddy clothes, I had a blast this past weekend.

We started by camping up at Geneva on the Lake at Indian Creek. Our site was nice and we were within walking distance to the lake.




Later that night, we walked to the strip were we had the summer staples: hot dogs and root beer from Eddie's Grill. It was such a fun, retro place.


After dinner, we stopped into some of the novelty shops and making our way to the Old Firehouse Winery. The interior was decorated with (you guessed it) firehouse memorabilia. There were badges from fire departments all over. Chris even found my hometown, North Canton! We each ordered a glass of Ohio wine and enjoyed the outdoor live entertainment. Geneva on the Lake has been around for quite some time and is worth a visit. There are some really quirky places and it is a fun way to spend an evening.

For the remainder of the weekend, we stayed at Top O' The Caves Campground in Hocking Hills. We had a great site surrounded by the dense wooded area. On Sunday, we hiked nearly 8 miles around Old Man's Cave. What an awesome place. It was tough, but the trail was full of cool lakes, waterfalls, and rock formations to look at.


I am proud to say I completed a successful camping trip with only 2 mosquito bites and one minor rash. Not bad for a girl that is allergic to grass, dust, pets, penicillin and just about anything that blooms. (I wish I were exaggerating)




If I can camp, anyone can. Seriously, I am basically the Rosie the Riveter of camping.  So plan a trip with a few friends and go explore one of our beautiful Ohio State Parks

No comments:

Post a Comment